Happy Family  

Tuesday, March 3, 2009


We returned to the civil affairs office today to let them know we were 'satisfied' with our son and to proceed with the adoption...so after answering a few questions and signing our names and stamping our thumbprints....it became OFFICIAL...G is ours!! The picture above includes the orphanage director...


This slide kept G occupied while we waited for the official stuff...Here's an interesting tidbit...I would venture a guess that in recent history, Chinese adoptions have been 90+ percent girls (although I'm just guessing) and even in the van to the civil affairs office, I was talking with our wonderful guide, David, about the infrequency of boys, although I told him I knew of several and had seen several announcements lately in the months we've been waiting. Upon arriving in our waiting room at Civil Affairs, what did we find but 3 other boys waiting (with a previously adopted older brother)...so 5 boys waiting in one room!! It was pretty remarkable--David said it was a Lucky Day! (of course it was a blessed day for us even if G was the ONLY boy!)

It's been rainy and dreary and chilly both days so far and so we've not done a whole lot (I'm not complaining though...I don't care what the weather's like as long as I've got my boy)...Walmart after the paperwork; lunch at McDonalds; back to the hotel for 'bonding time'; we took a walk down the street and S got a head massage and haircut on the way back...the girls in the hair salon all oohed and aahhed and flirted with J (he was quite embarassed and gave me dirty looks the whole time...I knew I was in trouble for making him go in there :-) I didn't get any pictures because I was afraid to leave J alone with the 3 or 4 girls that decided to sit on the sofa with him (I was already in enough trouble--I apologized profusely--he forgave me!)
The picture above is G cheesing it up at breakfast this morning....

and at lunch thoroughly savoring the on his McDonald's french fries (J enjoyed the McDonalds most of all--...I had a quarter pounder with cucumbers and spicy sauce--it was really very yummy)

We're supposed to go to the People's Park tomorrow, day trip to Qinzhou on Thursday, Green Hill Park and Minority Museum on Friday...then to Guangzhou on Saturday...(Those of you who've been to Nanning--is there anything else we 'must-do' in Nanning? )
We're really enjoying G...he's very active--keeping us all hopping; and although he has some 'little emperor' moments when he thinks he's the boss, he settles down pretty quickly when we tell him no; he's not yet met a toy he doesn't like--hotwheels and planes are his favorite (funny story--yesterday while we were filling out some paperwork, we opened a little airplane transformer mcdonalds toy that was in his backpack and after playing with it for a few minutes, he marched over to our guide, David, and spouted off a big long sentence...David promptily answered him with somethat that satisfied his question and off he went to play more...David said that G had asked him to please buy him more of those planes!! David assured him that mama and baba would be happy to buy him more planes! :-) He's enjoying play-doh as I write and has colored for several minutes as well...he picked out a spinning top toy at WalMart that he thinks is great....he's pretty much easy to entertain. He napped for about an hour and a half today without incident....and speaking of incidents, of lack thereof, I'm happy to report that he is fully potty trained (I assumed he was...glad I was right because I didn't bring diapers!)
Almost time for dinner...I think we're going to eat in the hotel tonight...too wet to go out...I'll try to tell you something more meaningful that our daily routine next time...sorry to be boring :-) Oh and by the way, for those of you who know I bought red coats for all of us thinking it would be such a meaningful bonding experience for us to wear them together--G wanted NOTHING to do with his red jacket!! oops...guess that backfired. we tried yesterday and today and the only whimpers we've heard out of him in 2 days have been over that jacket; he was wearing a big warm, pretty brown sweater as his coat and that's what he wanted...so I gave up--no big deal; no reason to tramatize the poor child. However, today at WalMart I found him a red sweater and he gladly switched from his brown one!! Victory...we were all in red this afternoon (no picture yet...I'll get one soon)
Thanks for following along....we appreciate knowing that our family and friends and even some folks we don't know yet are enjoying our journey and cheering us on...for those of you who are living vicariously through us as you wait--I know your pain...you're day will soon come! much love ~ d


AddThis Social Bookmark Button


10 comments: to “ Happy Family

  • Sooner Girl
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 7:36:00 AM EST  

    I am enjoying your journey! We will be traveling next month to adopt our son in China. Blessing to you and your family!

  • La Vonne
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 7:55:00 AM EST  

    I AM ENJOYING YOUR BLOG SO MUCH!! G IS SOOOOOOO CUTE!! HE LOOKS LIKE HE FITS RIGHT IN WIHT YOU ALL. J AS ALWAYS,LOOKS LIKE THE GREAT BIG BROTHER THAT HE IS. I AM REALLY PROUD OF HIM. MY SON WILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EVEN THE THOUGHT OF ANOTHER CHILD IN OUR FAMILY. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT TRIP. I KNOW THIS IS HARD TO KEEP UP, BUT I SURE DO ENJOY YOUR BLOG SO PLEASE KEEP IT GOING. REMEMBER YOU ARE IN MY PPRAYERS ALWAYS.

    LOVE YA
    LA VONNE

  • Faith, Hope, and Love
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 8:24:00 AM EST  

    Congratulations Doreen!! What a hansome little guy! So glad to see him in your arms!!!

    Today was Gotcha Day for Mia Hope and she is grieving deeply.

    See you in GZ!!!

    Love,
    Robin

  • The Gang's Momma!
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 9:51:00 AM EST  

    Yeah, it's official :) congrats on another important step in the journey. enjoy your down time to bond and love on eachother!

  • Waitingfaithfully
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 10:06:00 AM EST  

    D~

    Sounds like other than the dreary weather things are going really well! Sorry about the glitch in the red coat plan--great thinking on the red sweater though, can't wait to see a picture!

    Your little man is as cute as ever. What joy to see him in your arms at last! Thank you Lord!

    Blessings as you continue to get to know your new son! :)

    Love,

    Tina

  • Ladyblog
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 5:51:00 PM EST  

    It looks like G is doing so well! He doesn't look much bigger from when I held him last April, maybe a little bigger. Tell us his sizes just in case someone wants to send him something..... :-)
    ~R

  • Sarah
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 5:54:00 PM EST  

    Your new little guy is adorable! So glad that things are going well. Blessings to you!
    Sarah

  • quilt'n-mama
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 7:18:00 PM EST  

    Thanks for sharing your day, I was in tears just sitting and looking at your family together (can't wait to see everyone together:)

    Glad it's going well, we'll keep praying:)
    BTW, I love the kids play equipment in the CAB office:) We've not ever had that, what a great idea....

    Love you guys and hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow:)
    Gayly

  • Kristi
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 11:41:00 PM EST  

    I am so happy to see your new family!!! Looks like everything is going so well with G!! Thrilled beyond words!

  • cindy
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 9:33:00 AM EST  

    D, as for your question about must do's in Nanning. The only thing I can think of is that both times we were there our guides had someone make the girls a large scroll with Chinese characters. We could put anything we wanted on the scroll. Their name, a Bible verse, whatever you would like. Since both our girls are from Guangxi I'm not sure if this is common in all provinces or not. Both of our guides told us it was unique to Guangxi. Other than that you have already mentioned other things that we did in your blog.
    I hope you enjoyed your touring. Green Park is really beautiful!

    Love and Blessings and give G a squeeze from all of us
    Cindy

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster